The Abe Schechter Graduate Scholarship
The 2014 application period is now open. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AND APPLY Deadline to apply is May 2, 2014.Scholarship Management System provided by WizeHive
Abe Schechter, a true pioneer of radio news, became the first vice president of news for NBC. He began his career in newspapers, then moved to radio. During World War II, he became senior public relations officer for General MacArthur. He eventually returned to NBC where he helped create the Today show. From there, he became part owner of the Mutual Broadcasting System. In the 1960s Schechter founded a PR firm that he and his business partner, George Glazer, subsequently sold to Hill & Knowlton. Schechter and his wife died in a car accident in 1989. Glazer, a long-time board member of RTNDF and founder of the First Amendment Banquet, soon after Schechter’s death began raising money for a $2000 scholarship in his name.
ABE SCHECHTER GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICANT CRITERIA:
- Must be officially enrolled in a graduate program.
- Must apply for only one scholarship.
- May be enrolled in any major so long as your intent is a career in electronic journalism.
REQUIRED ITEMS FOR ABE SCHECHTER GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS:
1. A completed application form submitted online only.
2. A cover letter, submitted with the online application including these topics:
- Discuss your current and past journalism experience.
- Describe how you would use the funds if you were to receive the scholarship.
- Discuss your choice to pursue a career in electronic journalism.
- Include in your cover letter 3-5 links to your best and most relevant work samples to the scholarship for which you are applying. Work samples should be broadcast (television/radio) or online news pieces. Entrants are encouraged to upload their work samples to sites like YouTube, Vimeo, Sound Cloud and other platforms, then inlude links to these samples in the cover letter. Entrants are also encouraged to provide a link to their personal website, if this is available, or social media platforms if they are used professionally. Please discuss your role in each of the pieces (producer, editor, reporter, etc).
3. A letter of recommendation from your dean, faculty advisor or intership advisor, submitted with online application.
Abe Schechter Graduate Scholarship Recipients
2013 Joe Baur, University for Peace | Website
2012 Heather Martino, CUNY Graduate School of Journalism Click here to view Heather's work
2011 Nadia Zaffar, Emerson College